Is 'Fairview' a haunted house?

There are many stories at Pioneer Park Museum but I thought I'd share a recent one.

'Fairview' cottage is the oldest of the buildings in the collection at the Museum. It was built by Alfred Hill in 1887 at 'Tabbita'. Working with his sons and a carpenter they used cyprus pine in the 'drop log' style using hand-fashioned nails.

The name 'Fairview' came from Alfred, who said there was a fair view of the work ahead of him when he looked out from the front porch. Presumably the landscape was covered in cyprus pine to clear, along with a few grey box trees too I'd guess.

Three of Alfred's eight unmarried sons lived most of their lives at the house, with the last dying in 1952. The building was brought to Griffith in 1969 with the Rotary Club numbering every piece of wood and reconstructing it on the site of the Museum, which opened in 1971.

The layout is a long corridor with bare uneven floorboards and rooms off to the sides before a bolted backdoor. It's lit though.

Last year when I began working at Pioneer Park, I explored each building and tested my intuition against what I later researched on these locations.

It seems my reaction wasn't alone. Many school kids visiting the Park believe it is haunted and, as I asked the volunteers and staff about their experiences, I heard stories of shadowy figures and tapping sounds.

Then last year I heard the story of a visiting psychic who claims to have seen a ghost at Pioneer Park. She described a large bearded man who was hanging around and, when led to 'Fairview', identified him as the eldest of the Hill children. James had lived at the house all his life, so in a way it makes sense that if his spirit were to hang about it would be here.

On the way to the cottage the psychic experienced breathing difficulties and asked if someone had drowned or suffered from asthma. It turned out that a son named Daniel died from pneumonia.

I like the stories, especially since this one freaks me out a bit. I'm going to enjoy scaring myself when closing the Park in cooler months when the sky darkens in the afternoon. The building provides an atmospheric glimpse into life in Australia.